Monday, August 19, 2013

(This is an excerpt from a long story that I have written. If you guys are interested, I will put ALL of it! Hope you enjoy reading it... :)

“12:10 AM. 76 missed calls, 49 messages”, I read the cellphone screen. Soon after I left the farewell party in haste, Pooh had been calling me up. I didn’t take any of the calls, yet inside, I was dying to talk to her. I was unable to sleep, and the monstrous thunder and lightning only made it all the more difficult.
“Hello”, I said, finally picking up the phone.


“Sahil! Please talk to me! Don’t behave like this! I am sorry!” I could hear Pooh’s voice cracking. She must have been crying too.
“Pooh! Please don’t be sorry! It is all my fault! I now know how you felt when I flirted around with others. Pooh! I can’t see you away from me, with anyone else! I LOVE YOU!”
We both started crying.
“Hello?”, I spoke again, unsure whether she was still there on the phone.
No reply, only sniffing.
“Pooh?” I spoke again, softly.
“You are such an asshole. You kiss me and forget me, and flirt with others. You smile at the other girls, when you stand with me. You find everyone beautiful and attractive, except me! Still I was with you as a friend. And now when I am moving on in life, you are having problem? I hate you!” she said, and began crying loudly again.
“Pooh, I am really sorry. I didn’t know what I was doing. I am really a one-in-a-million-asshole. Please, please let go all this.”
“If I ever see you flirting with any other girl, I will kill you! I swear!”
“I won’t flirt with anyone, Pooh, I promise!...umm...wait...can we make an exception here?”
“What exception?”
“May I...not always...sometimes...in rare occasions...flirt...with Anita?”
“You...!! I will murder you in broad daylight on the stage during the assembly, I give my word!”
“Ok! Ok! Ok! I get it! Absolutely no-flirting, at all! Sorry!”
We both became quiet simultaneously. I realised my joke was ill-timed.
After a moment, Pooh spoke again, “Ok, once or twice only. And only with Anita, and no one else! Ok?”
I started laughing. Her possessiveness was innocent. She started laughing too. We were back together, like “the old times”, but this time, we were ready to take a step further. God, I was in love!
***
Next day, at school, Pooh came in just a minute before the assembly bell. Her hair was unkempt, and her eyes had black sacks under them. Talking over the phone till three past midnight wasn’t a good idea, especially when the next day you have to get up early for school.
After the assembly, we walked to our classes together. Everything was same again, except that I was keener to listen to her, more interested in her. Normally, I used to talk only about myself. But now, her world was my world, and I wanted to become a part of it. It was no more about me- now it was about us. And it was beautiful. Seeing her talk about how her mumma pulled her out of the bed, how quickly she got ready, how fast she drove to school just not to miss meeting me the very next day after my proposal, was making me fall in love with her more, with every step of the stairs we climbed together. When we reached the last step to the corridor, I handed her a folded paper. “What is this?” she asked me, surprised. “You will know when you open it. Bye”, I replied, and waved her as she entered the class, confused. I went to my classroom.
Pooh greeted everyone and took her seat. Her class teacher was a healthy lady, and by the time she would reach the class, Pooh would have read the paper. Pooh settled herself in her chair, put her head down on the table, and opened the paper on her lap. Then, she read the letter I gave her:
“Its 3o’ clock at night.
This December rain has chilled me to my nerves.
The aching cough and cold doesn’t make me feel right.
In this dead silence, even the clock ticking sounds like million bursts.

The day wasn’t that good-
Same old heated arguments with mummy.
Unnecessarily I spoiled her mood,
And mine when I fought with a close buddy.

I didn’t speak a word with my bro.
(He tried to start a conversation, but I was too arrogant)
I looked at the mirror and felt ashamed.
I didn’t understand what it meant.

I once again lost my cool and behaved in a way I regret later on.
I once again went away from you- like a moron.

Life is not that miserable, but in the dead of the night
These thoughts creep in my mind- but I am glad
‘Coz your love for me reminds me that
It’s not so bad, it’s not so bad.

Pooh, frankly, I don’t remember how or when I fell in love with you.
May be on our first date in CCD- or may be before that, or after, I don’t have a clue.

We used to go to the library and talk in a hushed voice
(Which now I would recognise even in the loudest noise).
And you used to come to the class every morning and give me a warm and excited “hi”
Which used to make me feel so good, but at that point of time, I couldn’t guess why.

These little things and many big ones
Made me realise how much you mean to me.
And one good thing in my life I have done
Is to make this relationship what it was meant to be-

Love.

I was such a fool, such an idiot, that I couldn’t recognise your love for me that had been for I don’t know how long.
Instead, I ran after that girl and flirted with others, but today I know I was so wrong.

And I think it is only your humbleness that you accepted me and loved me even after knowing all my affairs-
Even after knowing my weaknesses and drawbacks, which makes my heart uncomfortable, but deep inside it knows there is but one girl who still cares.

You understand me when no one else does.
You know what I want to say even before I speak.
You know how my mood is even when I don’t realise it.
You stop me when I don’t know the limit.
You support me when I don’t know whom to rely upon.
You give me the best advice when everything is so confusing.
You trust me when the whole world doesn’t.
You love me when.... you love me all the time.

I confess that my love for you can never be more than your love for me.
But I love you no less than that- one day you would definitely agree.

You don’t know that you have made me so crazy.
Whenever I am alone, I just close my eyes – and I can feel the frenzy
Of your grip and soft silky touch of your skin besides,
And of the delicate and the most romantic kiss on my lips,
And of that sensation when I look at your baby-pink cheeks.

You don’t know what you’ve done to me.
You are my first thought in the morning... and the last when I go to sleep.
And even in my dreams- it’s only you! You! And you!

You don’t know how much you mean to me.
Pooh, you are the most beautiful thing that has ever happened in my life.
You are the most beautiful person that I have met.
You are the most beautiful feeling I have ever felt.

Tomorrow, when I die,
And while dying, when I say my last word,
And while saying my last word, when I take my last breathe,
And while breathing the last breathe, when I see the last thing,
These eyes will just see you- even if you are there, even if you are not there.
And even after I close my eyes, you will remain in these eyes, and in this heart, forever.


Pooh, I love you."


Copyright Protected by Prasanjit Saha | Business Association with Tohfah4u - Facebook Page (c) 2013.